Saturday 9 August 2008

Yoshiharu Tsuge & Suehiro Maruo



Yoshiharu Tsuge - Nejishiki
Why has no one published a full book of Tsuge in English yet? This is a great book, it's got his most famous story in it 'Nejishiki' or 'Screw Style' which has come out in English in an issue of the Comics Journal. The other stories are all great too, some are surreal tales, some autobiographical slice-of-life stories about wandering in the countryside and meeting people, some horror and some historical tales. He has a really wide range and I love the drawing. If an English book ever comes out I shall buy it straight away....

Suehiro Maruo - New National Kid
What an awesome cover eh. Maruo's drawing is amazing. I'm not as keen on him as I was a few years ago, but I am less keen on shocking type stories these days as I was when I was younger. Maruo loves the aesthetics of the 1930's and all the stories of his I've seen have looked like that. This one has 'Planet of the Jap' which is an alternate universe story where Japan has won World War 2 and is based on the Philip K Dick story, 'The Man in the High Castle' though it has nothing from the story in it, except the idea. A few of his books came out in English 5 or 6 years ago but nothing since then, maybe they didn't sell. There's also a very weird story with Michael Jackson in it and a lot of Cronenburg style body horror. It's all very sick, but with beautifull draughtmanship.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.