Monday 4 August 2008

Red Coloured Elegy - Seiichi Hayashi


I was a bit disappointed with this great big manga book, it sounded really good from the reviews I'd read before I bought it. I guess I just wasn't in the right mood for it so I'll try it again in a few months. It's very arty, the drawing reminded me a bit of Tsuge who I really like, but the story just didn't work on me at all. It's about a young bloke and his girlfriend trying to survive while he tries to get a career in drawing manga in the 1970's. It's very minimally drawn, with loads of blank space and nearly all the faces missing. They are both very torn by emotion all the time, but can't manage to express anything of it to each other. Reminded me of one of those really really slow Japanese film's that spend hours and hours showing shots of the background while people slowly move around feeling sad.

No comments: