Thursday 8 January 2009

Takashi Nemoto - Monster Men Bureiko Lullaby

I don’t think I’d recommend this to anyone as they would think I was a bit wrong, but I did like it I think.

It seems like the cartoon equivalent of a comedian like Jim Jefferies or Frankie Boyle (if they were a 1970’s avant garde type Japanese cartoonist published in Garo... hmm) its very sick but funny.

Nemoto draws in the heta-uma (or bad is good) style of manga, that was invented by King Terry in the 1970’s, it’s a very weird style if you are not used to it. It also looks a lot like those strange Japanese salaryman cartoons with bald miserable business men drawn with thick black pens. I think “bad” drawing can be good, and what is good drawing anyhow, it seems a bit of an outdated concept to me, like with fine art, so I like the drawing.

The main story is a very sick and twisted story about a giant mutated sperm, born when a sailor is wanking on a boat when a nuclear test is suddenly carried out nearby, and his depressing life. The sailor brings him up as his son. Its strangely logical and sensible, with a lot of melodrama, a bit like a very weird tv soap opera. The story seems made up as he goes along but its exhilarating the way he pulls it all together at the end. It is very very filthy though so that’s a warning.

No comments: