Sunday 16 November 2008

Leeds Thought Bubble 2008 Report

I had a very good time at this one and have bought and traded some good new comics so I'll be mentioning them next week. I had to get up at 6 so I was getting really sleepy by the end of the day, just got the train home afterwards so didn't go to the after party (I am trying to save money this month as i'm skint).

I had a big pile of old books and comics to sell. I was a bit worried they might effect my sales of my own comics and also make my table look a bit like a jumble sale, but they were fine. Some people looked at my small press comics and other people looked through the second hand books, there were only one or two people who had a look at both, they are totally different crowds. I had some manga to sell so it was nice to sell something to all the millions of manga kids who were there and usually have no interest in my stuff at all. It was good to have a bit more to do instead of just waiting for the next small press person to come wandering round. It's very easy to sell other people's stuff instead of your own work, so much less personal involvement...

In the end I made £44 of the second hand stuff which was great and nearly sold all of it. I sold, or traded for stuff I wanted, about 25 of my own comics which is good for me too. In the end I had covered all my costs and made a bit of money too, so that's great.

I was happy with my cardboard wonder, hopefully I'll find a picture someone has taken of it and be able to post it up on here. I was sat next to Peter Beare and his family who were very nice even though I had to ask them for change twice. He does Dangnabbit which I had seen before at Lancaster a few years ago and is great.

14 comments:

EliandMe said...

I didn't know you had a blog! I have run out of money on my phone (again), but now I know you have a blog the lines of communication are open, hurray.

Glad it went well at Leeds, that is a really good idea about the second hand books, takes a bit of the pressure off.

I read your review on the Forbidden Planet blog, most of it I agree with (especially the nice bits about me ha ha), but I can't understand what he said about 'on the banks of the mighty croal' which I think has a lot of heart. Maybe that other comic ('Trains are mint' was it? Have you got that?) is just absolute genius?

Shonagh x

rob jackson said...

hi shonagh
you are very wise to find my blog and have the idea of posting in the comments, i would never have thought of doing that.
how are you all doing? been up to much? how is eli doing?
i have just been busy with my comic conventions as you can see.
i have read that trains are mint and it is really very good, you can see some of it here- http://www.rollingstockpress.co.uk/books.html
It is a big fancy book, all in colour. i still sold a few copies of banks of the croal at leeds anyhow to people who had read the review. some passing bloke said 'is this the one that got reviewed on forbidden planet' and i said 'yes, they said its not as good as trains are mint' and then he bought one. i think i need to work on my sales patter there.

i looked on the list of blogs you are watching, it is millions of wedding blogs isnt it.

EliandMe said...

Yes most of the blogs I am watching are wedding blogs. And my blog is a wedding blog. But in fairness I am planning a wedding!

I think that is excellent 'reverse psychology' sales patter. "This one? Oh you don't want this one, it's shit"...

I've not been up to much at all lately as we have really busy at work - did you see our projection on Le Mans Crescent?

rob jackson said...

no did not see that sadly, what was it a projection of?
i didnt know you had a blog either, why have i never checked it before, i am stupid. oh well, i will look at it from now on. now i think about it i can see why it has a wedding theme... makes perfect sense.
if you fancy writing something else for me to make into a comic i will buy you more cider, everyone likes it so you are very good at writing for comics. are you busy tonight by the way?

EliandMe said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
EliandMe said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
EliandMe said...

Oh, the projection was of hundreds of doors opening and shutting. It was in the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/nov/12/bolton-door-to-door-art

rob jackson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EliandMe said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
rob jackson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EliandMe said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
rob jackson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EliandMe said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
rob jackson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.