Tuesday 5 May 2009

Influences - No. 1 Viz


An occasional series of things that have influenced my comics...

Ah Viz is so great. Of course 'it's not as funny as it was'...
I liked it best when I used to buy them in town from one of the shops that would sell it to me, and take them to school to read. Who can forget 'The Bum-Faced Vibrating Goats'. It has influenced many small press cartoonists. The 'Bumper Book of Shite' above is my favourite Viz book, that or 'Roger's Prophanisaurus' with its millions of brand new and marvellous swear words.

2 comments:

Paul Rainey said...

Viz Comic is the small press success story. Why don't we hear more about it from comic commentators?

rob jackson said...

It's weird isn't it. I've seen Viz mentioned in the Comics Journal a couple of times by Paul Gravett and once by Michael Kuppermann but nothing here in the UK. Maybe its because its comedy and doesn't go on much about the art work?